Welcome back! I am excited to continue this series and I hope you are enjoying it.
If you missed Part I, the link is below. I would love to see some comments and hear about any techniques anyone has on these subjects! In this article, I will discuss how I handled the mold lines and priming the Legendary Dragon from Mythic Games.
Rid the Dragon of Mold Lines
I will be honest. On my other miniatures, I just don’t care about the mold lines. Gasp! I know, I know. It just doesn’t bother me unless it is extremely noticeable. They made the miniature from a mold and the small mold lines on the smaller miniatures just don’t matter to me and my paint job covers it up well enough. However, the dragon has some significant mold lines. Especially where the wings attach.
I believe most people use “green stuff” for this. “Green Stuff” is a two-part epoxy sealant that starts out as blue and yellow parts and then when mixed, becomes green and can fill gaps. It will cure within so many hours.
I have used this before and although it worked well, for some reason I found it aggravating so while watching some videos I saw where someone used JB Weld epoxy glue that dries clear. I decided to try it. Hindsight, I think I would have used the “green stuff”. The glue made my condo smell for days and it was not as easy to manage as I had thought. I had to make some modifications once it dried but all in all, most of the mold lines are gone which was the goal.
Priming the Dragon
This is another step where I did something different from my normal routine. Normally, I prime black and dry brush white. I have primed ONE time with grey and I won’t do it again. I just like black. With a model this large, I have read where it is recommended to prime with a colored primer that you will use as the main base coat to cut down time painting the base color of the model. I did this. After much debating with my visionary peeps, I settled for Army Painter Goblin Green.
Honestly, the green primer threw me off my game. The vision I had for the dragon went out of the window. I don’t know why. I think I am just used to black because then I can just add the color I wanted. With it being green, I couldn’t decide what needed to be that base color green and was just ultimately confused.
I ended up painting the entire dragon, anyway. I also did not care for the texture of the primer so I wanted to paint over it. After it was all said and done, the only positive thing I can say about the primer is that I only had to do one coat of paint over it. I usually have to do two coats when I prime black. So, I guess it saved a little time.
Join me in a few days for Part III. I will explain how I mixed paints and painted the base coat.
Facebook Twitter Instagram If you like press your luck games, you won’t...
Facebook Twitter Instagram Fantastic Beasts: Perilous Pursuit is a dice game where...
Facebook Twitter Instagram The game gives kids a tactile way to aid...
A Girl Obsessed with Dragons - A Miniature Painting Story - Part II
Facebook Twitter Instagram Welcome back! I am excited to continue this series and I hope you are enjoying it. Mary Crabtree MeepleGamers If you missed Part